Pork and beef meatballs
25 mins of preparation + 25 cooking time 24 meatbal servings
- ½ lb. (½ package, 227 g) duBreton Extra Lean Ground Pork (Organic or Rustic Farm Pork)
- ½ lb. (0.227 kg) lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon (5mL) olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- ¼ cup (60 mL) buttermilk
- ¼ cup (60 mL) panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) celery seed
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) fennel seed
- ¼ cup (60 mL) grated Parmesan
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely grated on micro plane
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon (2.5 mL) Marmite (yeast extract)
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups (500 mL) of grapeseed or canola oil
- In a large bowl knead the ground pork, ground beef and salt together, set aside and let rest at room temperature for approximately 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a small pan over medium heat. Add olive oil and gently sauté the shallot. Once softened (approximately 3 minutes), remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a separate small bowl combine the buttermilk and breadcrumbs. Set aside for 5 minutes to let the breadcrumbs fully absorb the buttermilk.
- Using a mortar and pestle, grind the mustard seed, celery seed and fennel seed. Add to the breadcrumb mixture.
- Fold the shallot, breadcrumb mixture, parmesan, garlic, chili flakes, pepper, marmite and egg into the ground meat, kneading thoroughly until fully combined.
- Using a tablespoon, form the meat into approximately 1 ounce (30 g) balls and place on a plate. The mixture should render approximately 24 meatballs.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place a large Dutch oven or heavy bottomed, high-sided pot over medium heat and add the grapeseed or canola oil and heat to 350°F. The oil should come halfway up the meatballs.
- Working in batches of eight fry the meatballs on either side, until the outside is golden, approximately 90 seconds total.
- Place the meatballs on a parchment lined baking sheet and cook for 18 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with a variety of dipping sauces.