Extra lean ground pork meatballs
25 mins of preparation + 25 cooking time 24 meatbal servings
- 1 lb. (one package, 454 g) duBreton Extra Lean Ground Pork (Organic or Rustic Farm Pork)
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL) kosher salt
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon (5mL) olive oil
- ¼ cup (60 mL) buttermilk
- ¼ cup, plus 1 tablespoon (75 mL) panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) celery seed
- 2 cloves garlic, grated on a micro plane
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) soy sauce
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups (500 mL) grapeseed or canola oil
- In a large bowl knead ground pork and salt together, set aside and let rest at room temperature for approximately 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a small pan over medium heat. Add olive oil and gently sauté the shallot. Once softened, approximately 3 minutes, remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a separate small bowl combine the buttermilk and breadcrumbs. Set aside for 5 minutes to let the breadcrumbs fully absorb the milk.
- Using a mortar and pestle, grind the mustard seed and celery seed. Add to the breadcrumb mixture.
- Fold the shallot, breadcrumb mixture, garlic, chili flakes, pepper, soy sauce and egg into the ground pork, kneading thoroughly until fully combined.
- Using a tablespoon, form the meat into approximately 1 ounce (30 g) balls and place on a plate. The mixture should render approximately 24 meatballs.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place a large Dutch oven or heavy bottomed, high-sided pot over medium heat, add grapeseed or canola oil and heat to 350°F. There should have a fairly deep amount of oil, enough to cover half of the meatball.
- Working in batches of eight fry the meatballs on either side, until the outside is golden, approximately 90 seconds total.
- Place the meatballs on a parchment lined baking sheet and cook for 18 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve with a variety of dipping sauces.