Zesty hot ham and cheese crostini
5 mins of preparation + 10 cooking time 6 servings
- 1 tub (227 g) soft cream cheese
- 3 green onions, very finely chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Gruyere or other firm Swiss cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) prepared horseradish or Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) coarsely ground black pepper
- 6 slices duBreton Sliced Smoked Ham
- 1 crusty baguette, about 350g
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Slice the baguette in half and place, crust side up, on a baking sheet. Place in oven and toast for 3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Meanwhile, soften the cream cheese by blending with a wooden spoon until smooth and creamy.
- Add the green onions, cheese, horseradish and pepper and blend until all the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Chop the ham finely and add to the cheese mixture. Gently mix until well-combined.
- Turn over the baguette and toast, cut side up for 2 minutes.
- Turn the oven on to broil and raise the oven rack to a position about 4 inches (10 cm) below the top element. Slather ham mixture thickly over the bread. Return pan to oven and broil for 3 to 5 minutes or until the cheese mixture is bubbly and brown.