Spare ribs in honey barbecue sauce
20 mins of preparation + 60 cooking time 4 servings
- 1.35 kg (3 lbs.) of duBreton pork back ribs
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 stalk of celery, coarsely cut
- 1 carrot, coarsely cut
- ½ lemon, squeezed
- 2 bay leaves
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) of honey
- 125 mL (1/2 cup) of chili sauce
- 45 mL (3 tbsp.) of tomato paste
- 30 mL (2 tbsp.) of soya sauce
- 30 mL (2 tbsp.) of cider vinegar
- 2 mL (1/2 tsp.) of paprika
- Salt and pepper
- Place the spare ribs in a casserole and add the onion, garlic, celery, carrot, lemon juice, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and then cook for 45 minutes or until the meat begins to come away from the bone on lifting.
- Meanwhile, mix the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C (450°F) or the barbecue to medium-high heat.
- Drain the spare ribs carefully and brush with the sauce generously on all sides.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the meat comes away from the bones easily.
- Continue brushing regularly with the sauce while cooking and turn the meat to brown evenly.
- Cut between the bones to separate.
- Serve with potatoes cooked in foil in the oven or on the barbecue and a tossed salad.