Spare ribs with balsamic caramelized onions
15 mins of preparation + 75 cooking time 4 servings
- 1.35 kg (3 lbs.) of duBreton pork back spare ribs
- 1 large red onion, quartered
- 45 mL (3 tbsp.) of balsamic vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 30 mL (2 tbsp.) of fresh basil or 10 ml (2 tsp.) of dried basil
- 30 mL (2 tbsp.) of olive oil
- 375 mL (1½ cups) of red onion, finely sliced
- 80 mL (1/3 cup) of balsamic vinegar
- 45 mL (3 tbsp.) of sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Place the spare ribs in a casserole and add the onion, vinegar, bay leaf and thyme. Cover with water and season.
- Bring to a boil and then cook for 45 minutes or until the meat comes away easily from the bone.
- In the meantime, caramelize the onions in oil over medium heat.
- Deglaze with the vinegar and let reduce by half.
- Add the sugar and season to taste. Continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 230°C (450°F) or the barbecue to medium-high heat.
- Drain the cooked spare ribs carefully, coat with the caramelized onions and cook on the barbecue or on a baking sheet in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cut between the bones to separate.
- Serve with vegetables roasted in the oven or grilled on the barbecue.