Triple bacon waffle blts
10 mins of preparation + 40 cooking time 8 servings
- 2 packages (500g/16 slices) duBreton Bacon
- 6 cloves garlic, whole and peeled
- 1 cup (250mL) olive oil
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp. (15mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp. (5mL) white vinegar
- 1 cup (250mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Tbsp. (7-1/2mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. (2-1/2mL) sugar
- 1/2 tsp. (2-1/2mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. (1-1/4mL) salt
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 cup (250mL) buttermilk, room temperature
- 1/4 cup (60mL) melted butter, close to room temperature
- 8 leaves Boston Bibb Lettuce
- 16 slices tomato
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). While oven is heating, chop 4 strips of bacon into small pieces (approximately 1/2 cm) and put in a frying pan. Set the pan over medium low heat, stirring frequently until bacon is cooked but not yet crispy. Strain bacon grease into a bowl and set bacon bits aside on a plate.
- Meanwhile, place garlic cloves in a small oven-safe dish. Add enough olive oil to fully submerge the garlic, approximately 1/2 cup. Cover dish with lid or aluminum foil and roast in oven for 30 minutes, or until soft. Remove from oven, drain excess garlic oil into bacon grease and top up with remaining olive oil. Ensure the oil is cooled to room temperature before making the aioli or it will cook the eggs
- In a food processor, blend together egg yolks and roasted garlic, slowly adding garlic oil/bacon grease in a thin stream. Mix thoroughly (approximately 3-5 minutes) to ensure the oil is fully emulsified. Add lemon juice and white vinegar. Pulse until thick. Fold in bacon bits and set aside.
- Lay remaining bacon (12 strips) on a parchment lined baking sheet, take care to not let the bacon overlap and use more than one baking sheet if necessary. Place in oven and set temperature to 400°F (205°C). Once oven is fully heated, continue to cook bacon for 12-14 minutes, turning once halfway through. Remove, and chop 4 slices into 1/2 inch pieces, leaving remaining bacon whole.
- Preheat non-stick waffle iron. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together 1 egg, buttermilk and melted butter. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and whisk until batter is just combined, be sure not to over-whisk (slightly lumpy is fine). Fold in 1/2 inch bacon pieces. Using a ladle, place 1/2 cup (125mL) of batter on non-stick waffle iron. Cook until desired, approximately 2-3 minutes for golden waffles. Repeat until all batter is used, mixture should yield 4 waffles.
- Slice waffles into quarters. Generously spread bacon and roasted garlic aioli on a waffle slice. Add 1 piece Boston Bibb Lettuce then 2 slices tomato seasoned with salt and pepper. Top with a slice (or more if preferred) of bacon and finish with another waffle quarter to make a sandwich. Use a wooden skewer to hold the sandwich in place. Repeat until you have 8 mini waffle BLT sandwiches.