Grilled sausage and potato salad with sauerkraut recipe
15 mins of preparation + 10 cooking time 4 servings
- 4 links of duBreton Toulouse sausages
- 16-20 baby yellow fleshed potatoes 4-5 per person, depending on size or make more an have leftovers!
- 1 ¼ cups packed sauerkraut rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 1 tsp caraway seeds optional
- 2 large handfuls about 3 cups arugula, baby gems or mizuna greens
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced red onion
- 3 medium radishes sliced
Vinaigrette (makes about 1 ¼ cups):
- 2 large shallots peeled and minced finely
- 1 tsp fresh thyme finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove finely grated or minced
- 3 tbsp champagne vinegar can be substituted with white wine vinegar
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp grainy mustard
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- ½ tsp coarse salt
- ¼ tsp freshly cracked black pepper
To prepare sausages:
- Place the sausages into large pot or saucepan and fill with enough cold water to just cover the sausages.
- Put the pot on the stove, turn the heat to medium-high, and cook jut until the water reaches a gentle simmer – that should take about 6-8 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and get those sausages out of the pot. The sausages are now cooked through, tender, and ready for step two, grilling.
- Let them cool down. Carefully, using a sharp serrated knife, slice them in half lengthwise.
- Set aside on a platter.
To prepare the Potatoes:
- Place the potatoes into a pot of well salted water. Cover. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, keeping a rolling simmer. Leaving cover slightly ajar, cook for about 10 minutes, or until a knife just slides easily into a potato.
- Remove from heat, drain and set aside to cool a bit.
- When cooled down, using 4 metal skewers, skewer 4-5 onto each skewer, leaving enough room to grip the end with. Place these on the platter with the sausages.
To prepare Sauerkraut:
- Place the rinsed and drained sauerkraut into a medium sized pot, with just enough water to cover it, and add the white wine.
- Bring to a boil, cover and then reduce to a low simmer.
- Simmer for a good 10 minutes to soften the cabbage.
- Drain well and add caraway seed (if using) and fresh cracked pepper. Set aside to come to room temperature.
Grill the Sausages and Potatoes:
- Preheat your grill to 400F or medium high (alternatively you can use a grill pan on the stove top).
- When heated through, place the sausages interior side down onto the grill
- Place the skewers of potatoes alongside the sausages.
- Turn after 5 or so minutes, checking the underside carefully to ensure that the grill marks are there. The potato skins should be just starting to get burnished.
- Once both sides of the sausages are grilled, remove from the heat.
- Turn the potatoes till each side is browned and crisped. Remove from heat and add to the sausages.
Prepare the Salad:
- Cut the sausages in half (only if you want, not necessary).
- Cut the potatoes into thirds or 4 slices (if larger) and place in a bowl. Dress with about 3 tbsp of vinaigrette. Toss. This will give the potatoes a head start in soaking up the flavours of the vinaigrette.
- Place the rinsed and dried greens you are using into a large platter. Scatter the sauerkraut over this.
- Place the sausages over the sauerkraut, and then scatter the potatoes over everything.
- Scatter red onion slices over these.
- Dress everything with another 1/4-1/3 cup of vinaigrette (as much as you see fit!)
- Garnish with radishes and dill. Add another generous grinding of fresh black pepper over everything.