Grilled sausage pineapple upside down cornbread cake
10 mins of preparation + 30 cooking time 8 servings
For the topping:
- 1/4 cup (60mL) butter, melted
- 1 cup (250mL) brown sugar
- 1 can pineapple rings
For the cornbread:
- 1 package of duBreton Mild Italian Sausages
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) cornmeal
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5 mL) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5 mL) paprika
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5 mL) garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. (2.5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp. (1 mL) black pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) melted butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) buttermilk
- 2 farm fresh eggs
- 1/4 cup (60mL) honey
- 1 jalapeno, finely minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) red onion, minced
- Allow your grill to preheat over medium high heat for 10-15 minutes. Cook the pork sausages over direct heat until fully cooked. Remove from grill and allow to rest on a plate partially covered in aluminum foil.
- Grease the sides of a 9-inch cast iron pan and add the melted butter. Sprinkle on the brown sugar. Arrange the pineapple rings to cover the bottom in a single layer. Cut sausages in 1/2 inch chunks and fill each hole in between pineapple rings with a piece of sausage. Chop any remaining sausage into small chunks and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Make sure that there are no lumps before moving on.
- Add the buttermilk, butter, eggs, and honey. Stir until just moistened. Do not overmix or the cornbread will be tough!
- Fold in cheese, red onions, chopped jalapeno and remaining chopped sausage.
- Spread the cornbread mixture over top of the cut sausages and jalapenos, being careful not to disrupt the bottom configuration.
- On a barbecue preheated to 400⁰F (200⁰C), grill the cornbread over indirect heat until nicely browned – approximately 20-30 minutes.
- Let the cornbread fully cool before cutting into slices.