Bacon-wrapped cheese-stuffed sausages
30 mins of preparation + 12 cooking time 4 servings
- 4 large Swiss chard leaves
- 1 package of 4 duBreton French Roasted Onion Sausages
- 4 sticks of fresh cheddar of about 15 g (½ oz.) each
- 8 slices of duBreton bacon
- Honey mustard
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Bring salted water to a boil and cook the Swiss chard leaves for 1 to 2 minutes until tender. Drain and cool under cold water. Pat dry.
- Make a lengthwise incision in each sausage.
- Insert a cheese stick into each sausage and then reclose to hide the cheese completely.
- Lay the Swiss chard leaves flat on the counter. Remove the stem and the woody portion in the middle of each leaf. Wrap each sausage up in a leaf.
- Then wrap 2 slices of bacon around each sausage and transfer to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the sausages are cooked through and the bacon is crispy.
- Insert a skewer into each sausage, let cool for a few minutes before serving, and serve with honey mustard for dipping.
Cooking on barbecue:
Preheat barbecue to medium heat.
Arrange the sausages on an aluminum baking sheet and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the sausages are cooked through and the bacon is crispy. If the barbecue has two grills, place the sausages on the top grill and the baking sheet underneath to keep fat from dripping onto the burners.
You may also heat the barbecue to high heat on one side and leave the other burner off, and then cook the sausages on the cool side to keep them away from direct contact with the flames.